Construction may be approved if it is established that the construction is compliant conforms to the relevant planning documents and other requirements applicable to the relevant space, special laws and regulations adopted under those laws, by means of issuance of the urban planning consent.
Application for urban planning consent for constructions and interventions from Article 40(1) items 1-7 of the Law on Physical Planning and Utilization of Land at the Level of the Federation BiH (Official Gazette of the Federation BiH, no. 2/06, 72/07, 32/08, 4/10, 13/10 and 45/10) must be submitted by the investor to the Ministry.
Pursuant to an opinion previously obtained from the cantonal ministry of physical planning, the Ministry issues the urban planning permit for construction:
1) of structures and interventions spanning two or more cantons;
2) of structures and interventions of importance for the Federation in the spaces and areas of importance to the Federation;
3) on international borders;
4) of free zones;
5) of buildings and execution of activities and interventions with potential major impact on the environment, life and health of people in the Federation and beyond;
6) of structures and interventions of importance to the Federation; and
7) of constructions and interventions in spaces located within the boundaries of national monuments, as declared by a decision of the Commission for the Conservation of National Monuments, and of constructions and interventions in areas listed on the temporary list of national monuments, within the temporary boundaries set by the Commission.
In the exceptional case of constructions planned in locations for which detailed planning documents exist, instead of urban planning consent the Ministry issues a location information.
The Decree on physical interventions and constructions for which the Federal Ministry of Physical Planning issues urban planning consent and/or location information (Official Gazette of the Federation BiH, no. 32/14) defines the constructions and interventions of importance to the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, for which urban planning consent and/or location information is issued by the Federal Ministry of Physical Planning.